2018 SCDTSEA Poster Contest Details
Dear DTSE Colleagues,
The theme for the 2018 SCDTSEA Conference is SAFETY FIRST and the subject for the poster safety contest is SEAT BELTS (check the attached for more information). May many of your students take part in the poster contest! The SCDTSEA Officers and Board members decided they would like the 2018 SCDTSEA Conference to be November 30 and the alternate date December 7. More information will be shared later when we are assured of the conference site and date.
Representative Bill Taylor has proposed DUI-E legislation to have a higher fine for anyone while driving under the influence of electronics. The texting penalty now is $25 and the desire is to raise this to $100. A hearing is expected soon on H.4480. I know that we will all want to support this.
One colleague at the last conference asked me how I helped inspire my students to get involved in the student poster safety contest. First, you need to believe in and use good safety posters (I use different subjects in each of my classroom sessions). It is not mandatory for students to do posters, but I do find themes on the poster safety topic and prepare a handout for my students. This helps to get them started. Go to the Internet and find quotations/themes on seat belts and share!
One of the best ways to make "Safety First" is by teaching and emphasizing the use of seat belts. The main objectives of our teaching should be to:
- Persuade students that safety belts should be worn so effectively that they, in turn, will convince their family and friends to do so.
- Provide information on how safety belts save lives and reduce serious injuries in vehicle crashes.
- Demonstrate the need for safety belts to retain control of the vehicle in emergency situations.
- Give practice on the correct use of seat belts.
- Increase recognition that since many crashes happen close to home, safety belts must be worn at all times, even on short trips.
- Create a positive attitude toward wearing seat belts.
The bottom line is to have increased safety belt use among new drivers, their families and friends to have a safer highway environment for us all.
Some of you may remember Captain Billy Fallaw. He was a DTSE leader that helped found SCDTSEA. He was one of my main safety mentors. A good way to close is by using one of his speech outlines from his talk “Let's Plant a 'Safety Garden'”:
- Plant a row of peas—PATIENCE
- Plant a row of squash—SPEED
- Plant a row of lettuce—LET US OBEY ALL RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Plant a row of turnips—TURN UP ALIVE.
See below for poster contest details