June 2011 Board Meeting Minutes
Board Members Present
- Dr. Harry Stille
- Dr. Albert A. Neal
- Joe Sabbadino
- David E Smith
- John L. Pappas
- Rusty Hires
- Debbie Hartness
- Dr. Andrew Johnson
Invited guests were Michael Watkins and Susan Baldwin. Susan could not attend due to a death in her family.
The meeting was brought to order by President-Elect, David Smith. The invocation was given by Dr. Neal. David turned the meeting over to Andrew Johnson. Rusty Hires moved to accept the agenda and David Smith seconded it. The board secretary, Deborah E Hartness read the minutes from the executive board meeting of April 16th. The board approved the minutes as read.
- Andrew Johnson stated that 6 board members had voted via email to accept Michael Watkins as our web designer. Michael then stated what his contract included. The domain will be scdtsea.org. He will create a template to update info for members only. There will be a Home page, a page for current events and news, a photo gallery, the ability to upload videos, links to current members, a page with pictures of the board and bios. In an effort to reduce the cost for the association, updates will be done quarterly instead of monthly. The cost of creating and maintaining the website the first year is $600. A yearly recurring expense to retain the host domain is $125. Quarterly updates will be done for $100/year. A deposit was made to Michael of $150. David Smith suggested the balance be paid August 1st when the website is due to be up and running.
- Joe Sabbadino reported that he had been posting editorials on driver safety in the Greenville newspaper. He will continue to attempt to get printed in the State newspaper. The texting bill is probably dead for this legislative session; Joe is hoping we can get it revived during the next session.
- A Dell laptop computer had been purchased by the association to be used by the board's secretary. David Smith, Rusty Hires, and Andrew Johnson each contributed $100 towards its purchase.
- The audit of the books is still in progress by David Smith and Andrew Johnson. Upon review of the books Andrew Johnson stated they needed the applications for 2009.
- Andrew Johnson and A.A. Neal are planning on attending the national ADTSEA conference in July in Honolulu, HI.
- The guidelines for the upcoming poster contest were presented and discussed. The question of a deadline was raised. There was concern that having the posters brought to the conference would be too confusing. Deborah Hartness reminded the board that participating schools could only submit 5 posters each. She suggested that a table separate from the registration table be set aside for the posters and that two people could judge the posters based on a rubric in the morning. The winners could be announced that afternoon. The board approved the poster contest to run from August 1st-November 18th. The theme is “Drive Safely and Save Lives.” Only original work will be accepted and only one participant per poster. On the back of each poster the entrants should have their name, the name of the driving school attended, and contact information.
- The next meeting for the executive board is September 10, 2011 at the Lizard's Thicket from 11:00am-2:00pm. Joe stated he would reserve the room before leaving today. The meal was blessed and the meeting adjourned.